Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Sovereignty of God

Dear Friends and Family,

            It would be hard for me to describe in words how blessed I have felt over the last year by your love and support.  There were times of real loneliness and frustration and knowing that you were praying for me and supporting my work meant the world to me.  Over the last few months it became evident to me that my time in the Dominican Republic was coming to an end.  When I took on this ministry, my objective was to take over the café ministry and bring order, establish vision, and achieve financial stability.  By God’s grace, your support and a wonderful staff of people I have sought that through to the end. The café is now being placed in the hands of Dominican woman, providing a livelihood and jobs for people in Hato Mayor.  My goal was to work myself out of the job and I’m thankful to God to report that’s what I did.  So what’s next?
In March of this year, while I was seeking God’s will, I met a man on a mission trip named Paul Harbison.  Paul works for an organization called Coalition for Christian Outreach. Check out their website http://www.ccojubilee.org/. The CCO is a ministry seeking to win college students to Christ and to disciple them as His followers.  He asked me to consider coming and working with him in that organization.  In May the CCO flew me to the US for an interview and by the end of May they had offered me a position.  My responsibility to the CCO will be three fold.
Firstly, I will be a campus minister at the Community College of Beaver County.  This will be a new position on this campus for the CCO.  I will be seeking to win unbelievers to Christ, establishing first time Bible studies and developing discipleship relationships and influences on the campus. I am excited to do this because I have attended a community campus for part of my own college career and I have a heart for such places. 
Secondly, I will be working with Aliquippa Impact.  It is an inner city ministry seeking to impact the community with the gospel.  In all of Pennsylvania, Aliquippa is ranked second in economic depression and educational distress.  I will be working with teenagers and seeking to disciple them.  Many of these young people come from a variety of broken backgrounds.  As AI seeks to bring community development to this town they use college interns throughout the summer, I will also be responsible to oversee this ministry (this will be very similar to my work with the Boston project in 2011). Please check out their website! http://www.aliquippaimpact.org/
Finally, I will be working with a specialized CCO department called Experimental Design (XD).  XD is a worldwide cross-cultural ministry that designs cultural immersion experiences for college students.  With the intent of giving these students a vision as global Christians, I will be working with the XD team designing and leading trips around the world. This is XD's website http://www.ccojubilee.org/cco-xd/
I am very excited about the new calling God has placed upon my life.  Once again I feel inadequate, scared, and can ask with the apostle Paul “who is sufficient for these things?” (2 Corinthians 2:16).  Once again I so value your prayerful support for me.  One of the biggest challenges I’m going to face in this new job is that I have to raise $2000 per month (which is twice what I raised for my work in the DR).  Please pray with me about this and consider financially supporting me as I follow God in this new ministry.  If you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.  Let me just say in closing, thank you once again for all of your support of my work in the DR. If God leads you to continue to support me I look forward to us “partnering together once again for the Gospel” (Philipians1:5). 


Blessings in Christ,

No comments:

Post a Comment